CitizenServe Online Software
As of Monday, December 11th, 2023, the Village of Matteson Community Development Department will utilize a new online software service called CitizenServe.
Applying for Contractor License and Registration, Building Permits, Inspections (including Existing Structural Inspections (ESI)), Special Use Permit (SUP), Planned Unit Development (PUD), Outdoor Dining Applications, Site Plan Applications, etc. will now be completed utilizing this new software. Go to www.citizenserve.com/matteson to register.
Through this system, the applicant can submit, upload documents, and make online payments. We are excited to make this much-needed transition and look forward to serving the public more efficiently.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
The Building Services Division of the Community Development Department administers the Village's codes and ordinances related to construction and property maintenance and assists in the enforcement of zoning regulations. Building Services licenses contractors, issues permit, and performs inspections for construction, repair, alteration, and maintenance of buildings and structures. Building Services also administers the property maintenance code by performing inspections of residential and commercial properties upon change of use, ownership, or tenancy, annual inspections of multi-family buildings containing four or more dwelling units, and regular exterior property maintenance inspections.
*Important Note: The Building Department is currently having all of our documents scanned off the premises and documents such as plats of surveys will not be accessible until further notice.
Current Building-Related Codes
As of December 1, 2021, the Village of Matteson uses the following codes:
- 2018 International Residential Code with local amendments
- 2018 International Building Code with local amendments
- 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code*
- 2018 International Mechanical Code with local amendments
- 2017 National Electrical Code with local amendments
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code with State of Illinois amendments Click here.
- 2018 International Fire Code with local amendments
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code with local amendments
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code with local amendments
- 2018 International Existing Building Code with local amendments
*Important Note: Effective immediately the State of Illinois is requiring enforcement of an existing provision in the State of Illinois Plumbing Licensing Act that requires a letter of intent by the person or company performing the plumbing work as part of a building permit application.
Prior to beginning, a project checks with Building Services to make sure if a permit is or is not required. Building permits are required for all new construction and most home improvements, including demolition so that the appropriate reviews and inspections can be completed to ensure safety, code compliance, and sound construction practice. The fee for the Plat of Survey is $25. Failure to obtain a building permit could result in a fine.
Permit applications and documents can be emailed to DSobko@villageofmatteson.org. Please put the property address for the permit application in the subject line. Click here for the list of documents that need to be submitted.
NOTE: Any incomplete permit submittals past 90 calendar days submitted to the Department without follow-up action taken by the applicant will be discarded. The Department will attempt to reach out via the contact information on file to offer the permit documents to be returned to the applicant before being discarded.
All requests should be made 48 hours in advance of when the inspection is needed.
All contractors and subcontractors performing work within the Village must be registered. Registrations must be renewed annually.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by HEADER in Ascending Order within category
Building Services Documents27 documents
Building Services Applications7 documents
Building Services Resources20 documents
- Alarm System Code
- Asphalt Driveway Tip Sheet
- Basement Remodels
- Bldgs. & Structures Ordinance (Before Dec. 2021)
- Brick Masonry Mailboxes
- Building Code Adoptions
- Central Air Conditioning Tip Sheet
- Concrete Driveway Tip Sheet
- Contractors License Requirements
- Decks Permit Tip Sheet
- Fence Permit Tip Sheet
- Fire Prevention and Protection Code
- Inspection Procedures
- Residential Bldg. Permits Guide
- Residential ESI Checklist
- Residential Service Upgrade
- Room Addition/Attached Garage Permit
- Solar Panel Installation Tip Sheet Permit Procedures
- Storage Shed Permit Tip Sheet
- Swimming Pools