The Building Services Division of the Community Development Department administers the Villages codes and ordinances related to construction and property maintenance and assists in the enforcement of zoning regulations. Building Services licenses contractors, issues permits and performs inspections for construction, repair, alteration and maintenance of buildings and structures. Building Services also administers the property maintenance code by performing inspections of residential and commercial properties upon change of use, ownership or tenancy, annual inspections of multi-family buildings containing four or more dwelling units and regular exterior property maintenance inspections.
Current Building Related Codes
The Village of Matteson uses the following codes:
- 2012 International Residential Code with local amendments
- 2012 International Building Code with local amendments
- 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code*
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2011 National Electrical Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code with local amendments
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 1997 Illinois Accessibility Code & 1998 ANSI A117.1
- 2012 Property Maintenance Code with local amendments
*Important Note: Effective immediately the State of Illinois is requiring enforcement of an existing provision in the State of Illinois Plumbing Licensing Act that requires a letter of intent by the person or company performing the plumbing work as part of a building permit application.
Prior to beginning a project check with Building Services to make sure if a permit is or is not required. Building permits are required for all new construction and most home improvements, including demolition so that the appropriate reviews and inspections can be completed to ensure safety, code compliance, and sound construction practice. The fee for the Plat of Survey is $25. Failure to obtain a building permit could result in a fine.
NOTE: Any incomplete permit submittals past 90 calendar days submitted to the Department without follow-up action taken by the applicant will be discarded. The Department will attempt to reach out via the contact information on file to offer the permit documents to be returned to the applicant before being discarded.
All requests should be made 24 hours in advance of when the inspection is needed.
All contractors and sub-contractors performing work within the Village must be registered. Registrations must be renewed annually.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by HEADER in Ascending Order within category
Building Services Documents21 documents
- Asphalt Driveway Tip Sheet
- Basement Remodels
- Bldgs & Structures Ordinance
- Brick Masonry Mailboxes
- Central Air Conditioning Tip Sheet
- Commercial Permit Application
- Concrete Driveway Tip Sheet
- Contractors License Application
- Contractors License Requirements
- Decks Permit Tip Sheet
- Fence Permit Tip Sheet
- Inspection Procedures
- Permit Fee Schedule
- Residential Bldg. Permits Guide
- Residential Permit Application
- Residential Service Upgrade
- Sign Permit Application
- Solar Panel Installation Tip Sheet Permit Procedures
- Storage Shed Permit Tip Sheet
- Sub-Contractors List for Permit
- Swimming Pools